Director of Group Sales
- - Sales - Division Head
- MO, USA
- Full Time
Focusing primarily on managing a diverse team of 5-10 group sales managers, the Director of Group Sales supports the Director of Sales & Marketing function who has overall responsibility for the Group, Transient, and Catering sales of Kansas City's premiere convention hotel- the Kansas City Marriott Downtown.
Located in the heart of vibrant downtown Kansas City, this premier convention hotel is the largest in the city with 970 total guest rooms & suites and 93,000 square feet of recently renovated event space. The property is the perfect balance of historic and modern, and is ideally suited for all types of meetings, events, and social gatherings, as well as sits adjacent to the 800,000 square foot Kansas City Convention Center- connected via a subterranean walkway.
The hotel will complete an eight-year, $65 million renovation in Summer 2019. All function space, public space and outlets have been recently renovated, but the final piece of this major investment includes a $44 million transformation of every guest room and suite to luxurious, technology-forward spaces designed for the modern traveler. Lifestyle, balance, technology and green initiatives are significant areas of focus for the full remodel of the hotel's guestrooms, gathering spaces, event venues, and fitness center.
The Director of Group Sales is also responsible for solicitation and contracting of conventions, meetings and other group business in designated territories or industries. Market deployment will likely focus on citywide conventions of 2,000 guest rooms on peak, as well as other strategic key accounts.
1. Knowledge of hotel group sales process and commonly recognized industry best practices.
2. Responsible for assisting with the group sales budget preparation and forecasting
3. Responsible for assisting with the development of the annual marketing plan, business plan and action plan
4. Responsible for assisting with the leading, managing and coaching of a sales team consisting of approximately 10-14 team members to include managers, trainees, interns and administrative staff in order to meet established goals
5. Responsible for assisting with the recruitment, hiring and training of all sales team members as needed
6. Assist in supervising the Sales and Catering team to ensure all daily tasks and fundamental responsibilities are completed
7. Brilliant, dynamic, and thoughtful personality with a supportive, collaborative, service-minded focus to support hotels service and relationship strategy, driving customer loyalty by delivering service excellence throughout each customer experience.
8. Conduct daily sales efforts to potential clients with a focus on building long-term, value-based customer relationships that enable achievement of sales objectives.
9. Maintain and promote sales philosophy/strategy of hotel leadership and management company.
10. Understanding and achievement of measurable individual room night, revenue, and service goals.
11. Attend and/or conduct daily/weekly/monthly sales department and/or hotel meetings as determined appropriate by leadership.
12. Ensure customer satisfaction, assuring repeat and continued business for the hotel.
13. Responsible for both individual and team's sales solicitation and negotiation of group sales.
14. Maintains positive relationships with the staffs of the Convention and Visitors Bureau, KC Convention Center, Marriott Global Sales, and other downtown hotels to strengthen and expand customer base for sales opportunities.
15. Develop a marketing strategy by analyzing historical, current and future hotel/market trends.
16. Create selling strategies to capture the maximum revenues and exceed established team and individual sales goals.
17. Mentors staff members and serve as a positive example for all hotel associates.
18. Ensures business is turned over to Event Management team properly and in a timely fashion for proper service delivery.
19. Civic leadership and involvement with appropriate industry related organizations
20. Other projects and duties as assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Excellent written/verbal communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills
2. Dynamic leadership utilizing empathy, trust and accountability in order to manage a diverse sales team
3. Ability to learn Marriott's Consolidated Inventory and Total Yield systems (CI/TY ®), and to skillfully perform all essential tasks associated with proper and effective usage of these programs while ensuring implementation of best practices throughout sales team.
4. Demonstrated ability to coordinate a high level of activity under a variety of conditions and constraints.
5. Ability to consistently deliver on a major market, multi-million-dollar sales quota
6. Periodic travel to industry trade shows, customer events, sales trips and other educational events as directed and scheduled in advance.
7. Effectively manage group contractual agreement process, rate quotes, analyzing business and maximizing profit potential for rooms, food and beverage and other ancillary business
8. Proven organizational and planning skills and ability to work independently and under pressure.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Four-year degree in hospitality management, marketing or sales preferred.
2. Three to five years successful large-hotel or destination sales experience preferably in a major meetings destination market.
3. Experience managing a diverse team with aggressive sales goals and revenue objectives