Assistant Banquet Manager
- - Banquets - Division Head
- MO, USA
- Full Time
This is a highly visible role designed to give the Kansas City Marriott Downtown a competitive edge in the convention market as well as attaining our goal of being the best Downtown Convention Marriott in the nation. This associate is well versed in the specific "Gold Keys" of event satisfaction for each group. This associate is responsible for bringing to life an enhanced level of service that is, "My Pleasure" to provide. Entry level management position that leads the banquet service staff while personally assisting in the set-up of the function rooms based on requirements and standards. Develops and directs to team to provide consistent, high quality service. Communicates expected performance and trains staff in processes. Assists the Banquet Manager(s) in planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the workers and resources for efficient, well-prepared, and profitable Banquet Service.
• Responsible for the direct Supervision of the Event Service Managers, Captains, Housemen and Aisle Attendants.
• Maintains extremely high standards of service in the Banquet and conference set-up with proper staff training.
• Works closely with the kitchen staff to be knowledgeable of the menu items and set-ups.
• Maintains controls of the linen and serving equipment; keeps current on inventories.
• Works very closely with the Event Management Department, Catering Department and the Stewarding staff.
• Investigates and resolves complaints concerning food qua lity and service.
• Enforces sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and dining areas.
• Responsible for the training of staff members and the organization of the temporaries and their training as they are needed on occasion.
• Able to work with the highest standards under pressure.
• Other duties as requested by Department Heads or Sr. Management.
• Responsible for managing the AES process and goals for the department.
• Managing and ordering temps when necessary.
• Keeps track of invoices and budget.
• Ensures that all banquet associates are trained in service standards.
• Ensures that all banquet operations in trained in JSA.
• Is knowledgeable in all aspects of event operations responsibilities.
• Creates schedule for serving staff and assists with other schedules as needed.
• Stays Current with the Marriott International Serving Standard Changes
• Stays Informed on MGS changes in event management
• Ability to ensure compliance with hotel standards, policies and procedures for self and the staff.
• Ability to work without direct supervision and provide immediate follow-up. Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work assignments for self and the event managers you support.
• Ability to be a clear thinker analyzes and resolves problems, and exercise good judgment when event manager is not available to you.
• Ability to focus attention on details. Ability to read a Banquet Event Order (BEO) as well as read between the lines of a BEO to ensure all items listed or needed/anticipated are provided.
• Ability to manage room blocks and work with Group Housing Agent. Billing – Ability to follow through of groups assigned from first contact.
• Ability to develop strong, productive, professional relationships with client contacts. Ability to exert physical effort in assisting with all calls, directional or tight room turns as needed.
• Ability to endure abundant physical movements in the carrying out of job duties.
• Ability to ensure security and confidentiality of guest and hotel information and materials. Ability to practice detailed standardized accounting procedures to protect the assets of the hotel.
• Ability to become proficient with Microsoft Office and Cl/TY Computer systems.
• Guest Relation/Problem Resolution Training/Boundary Boards/L.E.A.R.N. Method. Time Management Training.
• Emergency Response Procedure Training.
• Previous Excel, Cl/TY, Microsoft Office and F and B Point of Sale (Micros, OpenTable) Computer Training.
• Leadership skills (professional demeanor, problem solving and decision making, communication adaptability).
• Managing execution (planning and organizing, driving for results, building and contributing to teams).
• Building relationships (co-worker relationships, customer relationships, fostering inclusion).
• Generating talent and organization capability (talent management, Organizational capability).
• Learning and applying personal expertise (Event planning, food production and presentation, general event management, banquets, event services, applied business knowledge, management of capital resources, administration and management).
• Basic competencies (basic computer skills, mathematical reasoning, oral comprehension, reading comprehension, writing.
• Dynamic Personality. Inherent need to be of service to others. Able to fully execute Marriott standards of Brilliant Hosting.
• 1 or more years of previous customer service experience, preferably in a quality hotel property.
• Excellent Communication Skills via phone, email or verbally. In every meeting planner interaction Thoughtful, Dynamic, and Polished at all times.
• Knowledge of all Hotel Services and Hours of Operation.
• Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management, staff, and co- workers, to their understanding.
• Ability to provide legible, written communication.
• Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
• Knowledge of effective office and time management organizational practices
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
• Previous experience in a four-diamond property
• High school diploma or GED
• 2 years' experience in the event management food and beverage, or related professional area.